Thursday, June 16, 2005

Fingers crossed

Feeling a little apprehensive. I've just booked my flight to LA, leaving Edinburgh on the 28th of June at 5.50am, with a 3 hour stop-over in Schipol before the flight to LAX. I'm feeling apprehensive about it because I've booked and paid for the flight without my passport in hand. Now, ordinarily, that would be the stupidest thing to do. But in my defence, tickets for the 28th of June via Schipol or Charles de Galle are fast running out. Perhaps it's the start of the holiday season, or there's some big event in LA around the end of June, but whatever the reason, 28th June tickets on Expedia suddenly disappeared, and those on the KLM and Air France sites have shot up to over £700. Also, that's the very last day I dare leave it to before my time's up on the visa (I have to report to someone within a month of my official start date, which was the 1st of June). So here's hoping my passport has been stamped and sent back without any problems.

On the apartment front, I've found one within walking distance to UCLA. With any luck, I can arrange to pay the deposit to secure the flat (still have to make a conscious effort to type apartment) within the next couple of days. For the curious, it's located here. Looking at the satellite version of the Google Map, it looks like a short skip and hop to UCLA and has the bonus of being close to some greenery. On the other hand, I've not seen any photos of the studio and am hoping it's as nice as described. But hey, there are laundry facilities in the building (that's an American oddity, not having washing machines in the flat), and the studio is DSL ready and furnished, which would save me a visit to IKEA so soon!

5 Comments:

Blogger santos. said...

ucla is a very leafy campus, and you're next to the veteran's center...or cemetery. hey, at least your neighbours are quiet!

you are also very close to the getty museum, which is well worth visiting. strange collections, fantastic views.

Sun Jun 19, 07:53:00 am GMT-7  
Blogger akatsukira said...

I'm starting to look forward to it! I'm glad LA is not all about freeways and strip malls. The next thing is to get some LA Philharmonic tickets as a special treat...

Sun Jun 19, 11:33:00 am GMT-7  
Blogger santos. said...

ah, disney hall is really spectacular. you should be able to get a nice discount from the student center. ucla hosts a great number of interesting arts events. do you know about la weekly? it's online, but you can find the free paper around westwood (latest issue comes out on thursdays). it has a comprehensive listing of all theater/music/arts/television events in la county and restaurant reviews as well. jonathan gold is their main reviewer and while he likes to go a little afoot and afield, he has a fairly reliable palate.

Tue Jun 21, 08:16:00 pm GMT-7  
Blogger santos. said...

also: westwood farmer's market (on weyburn, i think) is on thursdays. the grandaddy of the so. cal farmer's market is just down the road in santa monica on wednesday mornings, well worth checking out.

you might also want to venture east to roxbury park in beverly hills. i believe amongst their many activities available is cricket.

Tue Jun 21, 08:22:00 pm GMT-7  
Blogger akatsukira said...

Farmer's market!! A girl couldn't ask for anything more. I'll have to act the tourist and check them all out.

You're a veritable font of information, Santos! So much to see, so much to do (and never enough time to do it all).

But first, I have to get paid... This whole move is costing me more than I thought it would.

Wed Jun 22, 09:54:00 am GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home