Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Culture shock, I

Saw an ad on the TV the other day. It was for a vacuum cleaner (can't remember which brand or model), and the company claimed that their "cyclone-style" cleaner performed 40% better than Dyson's in tests. That just didn't sit right (and it's not because I'm feeling indignant on Dyson's behalf). It was the same with a lot of other TV ads. They made me uneasy, because there was no way most of them could back up their claims. Where was the small print? Is there any advertisers' regulation act in the US?

I haven't made clear exactly what the company claims that made me uneasy. That's because I've already forgotten most of the ad. I just remember they called their machine something VERY similar to the cyclone, and were downright dismissive of it. By name! I think you're supposed to say "leading competitor" or some such euphemism. I'll edit this if I see it again...

:D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home