Monday, July 04, 2005

Venice (not in Italy, unfortunately)

Paid a visit to the southern continuation of the super-long beach along the coast of LA (I should really call it LA County, 'cos Santa Monica and Venice are not considered part of LA city). OMG, Americans really don't do anything small, do they? I thought Yellowcraigs (near Dirleton, East Lothian) was long. But it's nothing compared to these.

I've uploaded a few shots, and have placed them into a special Venice Beach, LA set.

On the cultural shock front, before getting here, I realised that the rented apartments didn't have washing machines in them, that you had to use a central laundry room ($1 for a wash!) or go to a laundromat. But I wasn't quite prepared for the size of the machines. They easily take twice what we normally put in (a week's wash for one person), and I'm going to have to re-think the way I wear my clothes. We're so used to doing one wash for darks and one for lights. But since we own fewer light-colours than dark, we tend to do an "eco-cycle" on "delicate" (so we don't waste energy and water). How am I supposed to do that in these giants? Will my lights have to sit in a laundry basket for a whole fortnight while blooms of bacteria take hold? Or will I have to buy more light-coloured clothes so I can have dark weeks and light weeks? It's an environmental and fashion dilemma... (OK, just environmental... Anyone who's seen my clothes will know that fashion just does not come into it...)

:D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home