Saturday, September 24, 2005

Never rains but pours

In the excitement that has been my life for the last fortnight, I received what must be the best bit of news yet: P's DS-2019 not only arrived in the post safely, but he has also secured an interview with the US Consulate in London at the beginning of October.

This is after a couple of months of waiting. Just waiting... And when the courier drops off the DS-2019, it's a mad rush to get everything, and I mean everything, organised. And when you finally get yourself down to London, it's the most boring, super-long wait in the Consulate to be seen.

And a few nail-biting days, you wait to see if the courier knows where Scotland is (our flat is in the middle of Edinburgh, which you'd think should be easy-peasy, but they had difficulty finding us the last time... what are the chances they'll find their way to a farm in the middle of Perthshire?)

On receipt of the golden ticket visa, you then have a crazy day on the computer trying to find a flight to LA that: 1) doesn't cost the earth, 2) doesn't transit in Newark (which involves lugging suitcases across terminals), and 3) gets you to LA before the visa expires (within a month of the official start date).

The last time was super manic for me, no thanks to inaccurate information from the LA end. But who cares?! It's not me that has to do it this time. And P's on his way!!

[D does a little jig around the apartment...] Yippee!

As the lyrics go: "I don't want to be lonely no more..." (bad song, played constantly on the radio in our lab. bad, bad, bad...)

This means I (might) have someone to go trick-or-treating with! Now to get some fancy dress before the shops run out. I've already started preparations: I bought a bag of peanut butter cups in case any kids show up, threatening to festoon my patio with toilet tissue (or worse... don't know what the current generation uses for cheap thrills). I may need more. For the kids, of course.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sat Sept 24, 07:35:00 pm GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home